I get the following error when I try to update the firmware with the copy I downloaded from this site.  When I turn off/unplug the printer the green circle light flashes on and off and the screen shows printer cartridge error replace the ink cartridge. When I replace the cartridges with new ones  and reboot the printer I get the same error. and same flashing green light. Tried many times. I have tried to get the printer in maintenance mode or any other mode besides the error screen with no success stays on error replace cartridge screen. 

Did you install the firmware in Normal mode? Have you used only USB connection to the printer?

Yes I have tried normal and update modes. It uploads the ROM in update however I have to manually reboot printer. Once the printer comes back on line it goes back to the print cartridge maintenance error screen. I have tried 3 different sets of cartridges same issue. I think if I can get it out of that maintenance screen it will work but I have tried everything I can think of.

4 hours ago, brian.durham@bvu.net said:

Yes I have tried normal and update modes. It uploads the ROM in update however I have to manually reboot printer. Once the printer comes back on line it goes back to the print cartridge maintenance error screen. I have tried 3 different sets of cartridges same issue. I think if I can get it out of that maintenance screen it will work but I have tried everything I can think of.

The original firmware of your printer cannot be downgraded to earlier version. Please, follow the instructions below.
The firmware, which you need to use:

https://inkchip.net/download/INKCHIP.net_Firmware_99_WF2850_v1.rar

Algorithm for solving the problem:
1) Check and memorize current firmware version of your printer.
2) Start installing the firmware in the Firmware Mode (by pressing a certain button combinations)
3) When the firmware installation reaches 100%  you need to disconnect the power cable from your printer.
Wait for about 10 seconds and then plug the cable in. A message will appear on your printer screen, saying that the printer is in Recovery Mode.
4) Start installing the Inkchip firmware again, wait for the firmware to load, your printer will shut down. Turn your printer on.
5) Check your printer's firmware version. It must be different. This means that the process was successful. 
6) Now you need to use the Activation Program from our website and activate it with the key.
After the activation you have to reboot your printer.
The chipless firmware is installed on your printer!
Please watch the instruction video from our YouTube channel for a clear explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7qWYWjMNFQ
This is just an example of the process, it does not matter which model of printer you have.

Issue resolved! I resolved the issue by changing out all the cartridges even though I had already had that set in the machine trying to fix it.  Out of curiosity I placed the ones that were failing back in after the update and they worked fine. Thanks for the assistance!